UC Santa Cruz Short Course: Learn Bioinformatics & Coding This Summer!July 12 - August 3, 2021
The UC Santa Cruz Summer Short Course in Bioinformatics and Coding introduces students to essential data science skills for application in genomics, cancer research, and other biomedical applications. NO prior experience required! 100% online. The course will
What you will learn:
- Fundamentals of programming in Python
- Best practices for naming files and staying organized on a Unix-based server
- Knowledge about common biological data formats -Work with real-world data and be
- able to reproduce scientific findings
- How to visualize data in an aesthetic and functional way
- How to use cutting edge genomics tools such as UCSC Xena and the UCSC Genome Browser
100% ONLINE instruction will include hands-on workshops and small group work in a friendly and supportive learning community. This is an introductory level course – no prior experience with bioinformatics or coding is required.
Who should apply: community college students who are interested in transferring to a four-year institution; 1st or 2nd year students who are already at a four-year college or university.
Our goal is to increase the numbers and capabilities of minority scientists and science professionals, and we especially encourage scholarship applications from students who are members of populations that are historically underrepresented in higher education and in genomic research: African American, Native Pacific Islander, Native American/Alaskan, Hispanic, Latina/o, and Chicana/o.
Class size will be limited to 24 participants. Application Deadline: June 1, 2021
Notification of acceptance will be sent out by June 12, 2021
For more information, contact Zia Isola: firstname.lastname@example.org